People have been extremely responsive to our coconut oil for dogs post. It's gotten lots and lots of shares and comments on Facebook as well as a lot of views. And we couldn't be happier. We love giving our amazing pet owner customers the important information that can help ensure that their dog stays healthy.
But coconut oil isn't the only oil on the block to help dogs stay healthy; salmon oil for dogs is extremely beneficial as well. Salmon oil has shown benefits in both older dogs and puppies alike. Younger dogs can benefit from better brains and bones and salmon oil can be helpful as an anti-inflammatory supplement for older dogs suffering from arthritis. It may also help keep brain functioning sharp in aging dogs.
Top Selling Salmon Oil for Dogs
|Kronch Salmon Oil||Grizzly Salmon Oil|
They are two of the best products on the market.
Regardless of what type of diet you feed your dog, fish oil is one of the most important supplements that you can add. It is recommended for dogs with skin allergies and to help various skin conditions heal faster. Salmon oil as a cancer fighter has also been studied by Dr. Oglivie, DVM, at the Colorado State School of Veterinary Medicine.
Why Is Salmon Oil Good For Dogs
Salmon oil is very high in both EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which are omega-3 fatty acids.
There are the two main types of omega-3 fatty acids:
- Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids are EPA and DHA. These are plentiful in fish and shellfish. Algae often provides only DHA.
- Short-chain omega-3 fatty acids are ALA (alpha-linolenic acid). These are found in plants, such as flaxseed. Though beneficial, ALA omega-3 fatty acids have less potent health benefits than EPA and DHA. You'd have to eat a lot to gain the same benefits as you do from fish.
Salmon Oil for Dogs Benefits
EPA and DHA are helpful for your dog because if you have insufficient amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, you can develop deficiency based diseases, including:
Gout, Allergies, Poor immune system, Eczema, Poor coat: cracked hairs, Increased shedding, Poor wound healing, Poor growth, Poor renal function, Liver disorders, Dermatitis and other health problems.
Proven benefits from EPA and DHA include:
- Improves the coat and skin, making it soft and shiny.
- Reducing inflammation that can lead to conditions such as arthritis.
- Helps to prevent skin allergies.
- Helps with Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Regulates the immune system.
- Calming overactive immune systems for dogs with allergies or autoimmune diseases.
- Aiding in mental development of fetuses and puppies.
- Improves cognitive function in older dogs.
- Lowers blood pressure and triglycerides.
- Provides support for dogs with kidney disease.
- Fights heart disease.
- Is preventative against cancer.
- Helps promote weight loss in overweight dogs.
- Helps in producing more collagen.
- Useful in the treatment of kidney problems (frequent urination, loss of appetite)
- Appearance of joint problems is lessened.
- Can help to slow cancer cell growth.
- Helps cachexic (the muscle wasting associated with some cancers).
Salmon Oil for Puppies
Research has shown that the fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in salmon oils helps to promote better brain development in fetuses and in puppies. Because of this, several dog food companies are now adding it to their puppy formulas.
Salmon Oil for Dogs Side effects
While we've certainly listed the overwhelming benefits of salmon oil, not every dog takes well to it. You must be aware that some dogs do have some side effects.
Salmon Oil Side Effects Can Include:
- Weight gain: this can be managed with a healthy diet and regular exercise
- Bad breath (it is salmon oil); this can be resolved by regularly cleaning their teeth
- Stomach ache and pain
- Loose stool and diarrhea
Please note, that not all dogs will have this reaction but you should watch your dog to be sure that they are compatible with salmon oil. If your dog is having some of these side effects it is not clear if this is lasting condidtion, but it could be a sign that your dog isn’t taking to the salmon oil and you should take your dog off the supplement.
Make Sure It's The Highest Quality Salmon Oil
These are extracted by cold pressing fresh salmon at low temperatures. Cold pressing is a very gentle extraction technique, that ensures that the fatty acids do not decompose and lose their positive effects.
Cold pressing also produces very concentrated salmon oil, making it more economical to use. Fish oils are commonly extracted by boiling many different types of fish. However, fish oils extracted by boiling contain many more saturated acids, therefore, do not have the same positive effects.
Please make sure that if you do not use these brands, you use equally high-quality products.
Salmon Oil Doses for Dogs
You may find that you are seeing that the recommended dose is different depending on where you check.
- 4 ml for 0-26lbs dogs
- 8ml for 26-53lbs dogs
- 12ml for 53-106lbs dogs
- 16ml for dog 106lbs and over
Note: If you are using salmon oil to help treat a specific condition with your dog, work with your veterinarian or an animal nutritionist. Also, as with all supplements, tell your vet what you are giving your dog if you are prescribed medication.
Salmon oil can go bad and you want to pay attention to a use by the recommended date on the bottle to make sure that you’re not feeding your dog expired salmon oil.
Real Salmon Oil Customer Reviews
If you're still on the fence about salmon oil for your dog, check out some of our customers reviews.
"I seek out this particular brand of salmon oil, because it is simply the best quality available, and freshness is carefully monitored. Also, the oil comes with a great pump that doesn't drip (who wants salmon oil all over their hand?!). The Kronch salmon treats are great too."
"My dogs are each around 60 lbs., and they each get 6-7 full squirts of this oil each day. Really helps their coats too, but the real difference is in their joints."
"My orthopedic surgeon vet said to start giving dogs a HUMAN SIZED dose of salmon oil every day to help joints. My dog went from limping (she has bad hips and knees) to playing like a puppy again! Highly recommend."