It is said that the easiest way to a dog’s heart is through its stomach. While this may be convincingly true, their appetite combined with their natural inquisitiveness has often landed our canine companions into trouble simply because of a little bite from our favorite yard plants that turned out to be poisonous.
If you have dogs, here are the ten most poisonous plants you should avoid around your home.
Although they are known to be particularly dangerous to cats, some varieties such the peace lily, autumn crocus, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley and the common houseplant (Dracaena lily) are deemed exceedingly dangerous to dogs. If ingested lilies can cause gastrointestinal problems, tremors, anorexia, and depression.
Also knows as the Rhododendron, this common ornamental flowering shrub has toxins that can harm a dog’s cardiovascular system, as well as trigger digestive issues, paralysis, or even death.
Besides it being safe for human use, this plant has utterly no merits for your pet. If ingested, a dog can experience symptoms like seizures, tremors, and even death.
While the stalks of this plant are good at making pies, its leaves contain oxalate, which is associated with kidney failure, tremors, and salivation.
Commonly known for its oil properties, this ornamental tropical plant contains the poisonous protein ricin. If consumed, this seeds can burn the dog’s throat and the mouth leading to unquenchable thirst, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even small amounts can be fatal.
These flowers are usually the first hint that spring is coming, but they are also dangerous for your dog. They contain lycorine which causes vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cardiac issues.
Highly toxic plant and when swallowed, it can cause depression, intense tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Although very popular, all parts of this plant contain toxic chemicals that can cause heart failure in both humans and pets. It can also cause diarrhea, breathing issues and tremors.
As shocking as it is, the tomato plant contains solanine, a very toxic ingredient that causes gastrointestinal upsets, depression, decreased cardiac rate, diarrhea, and weakness.
This plant is great for burns but toxic when ingested by dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors and change in urine color.
While there are hundreds of plant species that are dangerous to dogs, the above are the most common in our homesteads and should be highly avoided. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any of these plants, call your vet immediately for assistance.
For information about other plants that are harmful to your dog, please consult your vet or the Animal Poison Control Center.
Comments will be approved before showing up.