When you are planning your Fourth of July celebration, it is important that you consider your pets as well. Some of the things that we enjoy can be scary or even harmful to your dog. You don't have to cancel your Fourth of July plans, but you do need to be prepared to keep your dog safe and happy. Here are the top dangers of the Fourth for dogs, and how you can prepare to keep your dog safe.
We love fireworks. The loud bang, pretty colors, and smoke are an essential part of the Fourth of July for most of us. However, most pets feel differently. The loud noise can be very scary to dogs. Many times, a dog will get scared and run away. July 5th is the busiest day of the year for animal shelters, because so many dogs get scared and run away.
Even if your dog isn't scared of fireworks, they can still be dangerous. Inquisitive dogs may try to catch or bite a lit firework. This can cause burns which can be severe. Dogs also like to put anything they find in their mouth. Fireworks contain chemicals like arsenic and heavy metals which are highly toxic to your dog if ingested.
The best way to keep your dog safe during a fireworks display is to keep them inside. Put them in a quiet room, so they can have peace and quiet while you enjoy the show. It's also a good idea to implant an identification chip in your dog, just in case they do get lost. At the very least, be sure they have an identification tag with your address and phone number on their collar. You'll also need to be sure that all fireworks are out of your pet's reach, whether they are inside or outside.
Citronella and Insect Repellants
Citronella and insect repellents can help keep the bugs away from your barbecue, but they are harmful to your dog. Deet is the active ingredient in most bug sprays. It can cause vomiting, seizures, and skin irritation for dogs. When a dog inhales Citronella, it can cause respiratory issues like pneumonia. If they ingest it, it can harm their nervous system.
If you use bug spray, be sure that your dog doesn't lick you where you've applied it. You'll also need to keep any citronella products well away from your furry friend.
Food and Alcohol
There are many foods that are safe for us that are harmful to our pets, so it's best to avoid giving them any table food. Alcohol is a staple for many Fourth of July celebrations, but it can be toxic to your pet. Your dog doesn't have the ability to filter alcohol out of its system, so it can easily develop alcohol poisoning.
To keep your dog safe, be sure to keep all food and alcoholic beverages out of your dog's reach. If you are looking for a "beer" your dog, check out Beer Paws.
Other Hidden Dangers
Glow jewelry, matches, and lighter fluid are also harmful to your pet if they are ingested. Glow jewelry can cause gastrointestinal problems if they ingest the contents. Lighter fluid can also cause gastrointestinal issues, and breathing it can cause respiratory problems. Matches can make it difficult for your dog to breathe, and cause kidney disease and damage to blood cells.
You and your dog can have a safe Fourth of July. Just keep any harmful substances away from your dog, and be sure to put them indoors before the fireworks start.