Poison Awareness: Know Your Phone Numbers

Poison Awareness:  Know Your Phone Numbers

Every year many dogs are poisoned. Many times they are unintentionally poisoned by common household products. That is why it is so important to know the number for the Animal Poison Control Center. You also need to be able to recognize the symptoms of dog poisoning and know what you should do.

Animal Poison Control Center Phone:  (888) 426-4435

Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

The symptoms will vary based on what the dog has ingested, but these are the common symptoms. It is important to note that if your dog is poisoned, they may show two or more of these symptoms, but not all of them. If they show any of these symptoms it is a good idea to assume they have been poisoned, because the quicker you act the better chance of survival your dog has.

  • Vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • excessive drooling
  • loss of appetite
  • coughing blood
  • pale gums
  • weakness
  • collapse
  • excessive thirst
  • fast heartbeat
  • excessive thirst
  • black stool
  • decreased urination
  • strange behavior
  • dizziness/loss of balance

What to Do

If you think your dog has been poisoned, the first thing you should do is call the Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435. They will ask you to describe the symptoms your dog is experiencing.

Note: Animal Poison Central may charge a consultation fee.

The next step is to try to figure out what type of poison the dog ingested. Poison control may be able to narrow it down based on your dogs' symptoms. Watch their vomit and stool for color as well as parts of anything they ate. If you can't identify the substance this way, look around your house and your yard for anything they might have eaten. If you can identify the poison, you will be directed to make your dog vomit or give charcoal depending on the poison. If you need your dog to vomit, you can use salt water or diluted hydrogen peroxide. You can find activated charcoal at most drug stores. It can also be used in many cases of human poisoning, so it is a good thing to have in your medicine cabinet. You may be directed to take your dog to the vet, or you may be able to treat him at home.

You should write the Poison Control number and the common symptoms down so that you can use it for quick reference if you ever need it. You should also keep activated charcoal and learn the household products that can be hazardous to your pet.


Related Posts

Older Post / Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.